Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Meals in jars...you know- Smoothies



Our favorite green smoothie is a slightly adjusted Glowing Green Smoothie from Kimberly Snyder. Both my husband and I would have a quart jar of green hued beauty every morning...until I got pregnant. Enter: english muffins with PB&J for me and Honey Nut Cheerios with almond milk for him. Thankfully now that we are well into my third trimester I am actually craving healthier foods again (such as my yogurt bowl!) and we have welcomed our green tradition back to our daily routine with open arms! 

//An Almost Glowing Green Smoothie//
makes enough for 2
1 cup water
1 head romaine lettuce
4 stalks celery
2 huge handfuls of baby spinach (or kale)
1 pear
2 bananas
juice of a lemon

//method//
I like to prep all my ingredients at once, so then I can just feed handfuls of goodness to my blender without having to stop to wash or chop anything. I layer all of the ingredients (except the liquids) in a bowl in the opposite of the order listed (so that the lettuce is at the top, and therefore the first item to be added to my blender, and the bananas are at the bottom of the bowl and the last thing I will add to the blender besides the lemon juice. I wash and chop everything into pieces that are manageable for my blender.
Add the water to the blender and then at medium speed begin adding in all of the other ingredients in the order listed. I finish with the lemon juice and then turn the blender to high for 30-60 seconds just to really get everything nice and smooth.

**I do use a Vitamix and am of the opinion that a super high powered blender is really ideal for a green smoothie-if I wanted to chew it, I'd eat a salad ;)**

Now when I need something a little more approachable, with a little more staying power, this is my other favorite smoothie.


//Blueberry Chia Smoothie//
serves 1
1 cup of almond milk
1 cup blueberries
1 tsp chia seeds
1 banana (frozen is nice, but not necessary)
1 Tbsp almond butter (or any nut butter of your choosing)
splash of vanilla extract

//method//
Blend and drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment